Foresight Session 08 - Mobilising investments and partnerships to deliver impact in road safety
Wednesday, October 4
Chair: Susanna Zammataro, Director General, IRF
Room: South Hall 3C, 3rd floor
Road crashes are the biggest killer of young people worldwide. More than 100,000 people are killed and injured on the world’s roads every day. The proven, high-return and evidence-based infrastructure solutions to save lives exist. Yet, there is currently a significant underfunding of infrastructure for road safety and a latent need to mobilize private financing and partnerships that deliver. It is estimated that an additional US$260 billions of financing will be required to achieve the road safety related Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) 3.6 and 11.2 in low and middle-income countries (LMICs) over the coming decade. This session explores the business case for investment in safer roads and mechanisms by which the investments and partnerships - necessary to achieve the target of the Decade of Action - can be mobilised.
The session will address the following questions:
- What’s the business case for investments in safer roads and how does it translate in different regions of the world?
- How to create a conducive environment for private sector to engage?
- How can private investments be mobilised to close the funding gap?
Investments in safer roads: the business case, Keynote
Investments in safer roads: the business case, Setting the stage
Enabling impact investments and partnerships: lessons learned from around the globe, Africa the Tanzania Ten Step Project
Enabling impact investments and partnerships: lessons learned from around the globe, LMICs
Enabling impact investments and partnerships: lessons learned from around the globe, Latin America
Enabling impact investments and partnerships: lessons learned from around the globe,Asia
Questions and Answers
Moderator: Susanna Zammataro, Director General, IRF
Mobilising private sector investments in road safety
• Speaker from 3M Safety
• Astrid Van Den Burg, Head of Road Safety, Holcim
• Bosco Martì Ascencio, Aleatica Global Director of Institutional Affairs and President Road Safety Foundation
• Malaya Zumel, Regional Transport Coordinator for Africa, the Caribbean and the Pacific – European Investment Bank (EIB)
• Daniel Pulido, Senior Investment Officer, Global Infrastructure Department, International Finance Corporation (IFC)
• Susanna Zammataro, Director General, IRF
Session Organisers: IRF (Geneva, Switzerland) & iRAP
Session Secretary: Greg Smith, Global Programme Director, iRAP